re:definition

Seeking to find new meaning in life...

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Soundtrack of Your Life

I'm not sure if many of you know what I'm actually up to these days, you know, to pay the bills not create them. I am a Home Theater Custom Sales Consultant at Stereoland in Eden Prairie, MN - which is a pretty sweet gig for me. For those who know me well, they know that I am somewhat of an aficionado of electronics, especially home theater stuff. In fact, we are nearly finished with changing our basement from a big empty space to a fabulous 2 bedroom, laundry room, bathroom, and large home theater with coffee bar. So the fact that I get to come to work every day and walk around a store in which there are speakers that are worth more than my car (seriously), and watch Yankees games on a 120" screen with theater seating and jaw dropping sound is a definite perk. But, alas, it is still a job, and I do have to do things that I'm not a huge fan of. For instance, I cannot wear jeans to work. C'mon man! We're selling speakers, not funeral plots! I also am pretty much stuck here all day on Tuesdays especially. Just me, all day, from 9:30am til after 8pm. Seriously - I have to leave notes on the door and lock up if I need to leave for any reason, even when nature calls. How embarassing is that? When that glorious moment arrives, instead of being able to select the latest issue of my favorite home theater magazine and head off for my mid morning session, I have to sit down and create a Word document stating that I'll be back in 30 mins (I hate being rushed). Annoyances aside, it is a pretty fun job now that I've gotten used to being here for over 50 hours a week.

One of the products that I particularly enjoy is called a Fireball-not the jawbreaker (although that sounds really good right now)- which is a digital music server (giant iPod basically) that can store tens of thousands of songs. When I first started here in February, I would just listen to whatever happened to be loaded on the machine, which was the standard stereo store selections - Norah Jones, John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, tons of classical and jazz, and for some inexplicable and particularly naseating reason, Gloria Estefan (I guess she ditched the Miami Sound Machine). I used to enjoy some of these artists, but after a solid month of "Daughters", I was ready to toss the Fireball into the parking lot. Then it hit me - why don't I bring in my own music and add it to the mix? Since I am here the most of anyone by far, I should be able to dominate the music server, right? So I have begun to slowly but surely add some of my favorites to the system and listen to them all day.

You may be wondering why I told you that backstory... Well, it is to talk about music and its powerful grip on our memories. I love to ask the question of friends and those soon to be my friends, "What band would you choose to be the soundtrack of your life?" I've heard so many varied responses to this question, that I've begun to deduce that this question reveals a lot about the past of the responder. It isn't always true, but it has on occasion revealed a deeper view into a heart - the pain, the joy, the good times, and bad.

I have learned over the years that the only way to make sense of our lives is to view them as a story. Since our longest lasting memories are tied to emotion, our heart is actually the best keeper of our stories. Whether or not you agree with me, you do the same thing when you think back over your life... Not many people think about their life in terms of bullet points, or in chronological order of rountines and monotonous existence. Typically when we think back, our memories are tied to love, pain, success, embarassment, fear, joy, laughter, beauty, brokeness, breakthrough, risk, betrayal, adventure, breathless silence, punishment, ecstasy, and consequences. I'll take my memories a step further and say that these events are not only tied to emotion, but they carry with them music that brings me back.

All of this came to mind as I walked around the store today and a song came on that reminded me of one of my precious former students and their incredibly painful journey, but yet the redemption and joy that has been granted to them. I started to seek out songs that have a grip on my memories and will now lay a few of them at your feet.

Not in any sort of order at all!

ABBA, Dancing Queen - This song has swooped in and out of my life several times, but it began as a tape that I snagged out of my dad's "old music collection" that wasn't CHRISTIAN (GASP!)... I took that tape and popped it into my walkman and hopped on my John Deere lawnmower (after I had sniffed a little gasoline - hey, I was 12 man!) and fell in love with disco. So that became my brain-cell killing routine when it was time to mow the lawn, some gasoline scent on the end of my nose and ABBA turned up so loud that my ears rang for an hour after the lawn was cut.

Glass Tiger w/ Bryan Adams, Don't Forget me When I'm Gone -
"Don't forget me when I'm gone,
My heart would break.
I have loved you for so long,
It's all I can take."
I went to 3 different high schools, so leaving became pretty normal for me. But I always left behind someone, my Winnie Cooper, to whom I had never really come clean with my true feelings. One day, after leaving another school, I actually called up the local radio station and requested this song - thinking that maybe she would be listening. As I laid there listening to the cheesy keyboards wail, a tear trickled down my cheek as I realized that I would probably never see any of those old friends again, and worst of all, I could never tell her how I felt.

Eric Clapton, Wonderful Tonight - I absolutely love this song, but one memory stands out to me whenever I think of this... I was asked to be a groomsman in a wedding (1 of 13 times to date) and I was informed that I needed to dance with a bridesmaid during the reception. Now in my house, dancing was forbidden - which was fine with me. My parents had always told us stories about proms and the naughty things that happened there, so the whole dancing thing had sort of passed me by. So now I'm in college, and I need to learn how to slowdance. Well, the only guy I knew that could dance was a close college friend named James Philip Miller. So, we closed the door to my dorm room, turned on Wonderful Tonight, and shared my first dance. It was awkward and rigid, but a necessary evil that allowed me to blend in to the rest of the wedding party when the moment came.


Shane and Shane, It is Well
- I've sung this classic hymn countless times in my traditional evangelical church upbringing, but it had never seared its notes into the lining of my heart until September 24, 2005 - the night before our farewell service at Bloomington Baptist Church. I was driving around Maple Grove having just enjoyed a fabulous cigar at Tobacco Grove while Ange was babysitting, and I began to question God about what had happened "to us". I felt angry, confused, frustrated, and victimized. "It was wrong - God how could you let it happen this way?" Then, my iPod began to feed a song that washed over me like warm rain...
"When peace like a river, attendeth my way, and sorrows like sea billows roll... Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul!" In that moment, I wept. I finally saw that the bitterness and anger had robbed me of being able to grieve. I wasn't able to cry because I was holding on to my rights so tightly. God just spoke to me in that moment, and for a little while at least, I had peace. The next day, after I shared some final words of challenge and thanks, I was able to lead the church in singing that same refrain (actually, it was my great friend Dan who led, as I was only able to sputter out a few lines as I gushed emotion). The memory of seeing the people that I love losing themselves in the musical worship of that song will bring a tear filled smile to my face until I pass on.

Shania Twain, From this Moment - I have always loved music, but there were times when I became "too cool" to sing. I think during some of my high school years and then during some of my time in college, I was the guy who stood there and didn't sing. The irony is that I love to sing! I'm always humming, whistling, teeth chattering out a beat, or just bobbing my head to my internal jukebox... But until this girl named Angela came into my life, I would never sing publicly - by myself or in a duet. "Special Music" was my sister's department, and I was more than happy to avoid that title for 20 plus years of my life (special music - to be honest, the first time I heard that title I thought that a mentally challenged individual was going to be singing a song). Now Angela and were a really good fit, right from the get go, first as friends then as spice (plural of spouse?)... But she sang all the time, and she loved country music, which is one of the things I hate most in this world, second only to the Red Sox. Well - she especially loved Shania Twain, which isn't REAL COUNTRY anyways, and there was this tune that became "our song" - it was a duet, between Brian White and Shania, called From this Moment. When we were in the car, Ange would sing the Shania part, and then INSIST that I sing the male part of the duet. I would fight and resist and pout and get grouchy and try everything in my arsenal to get her to quit asking - but she never would. So finally, I relented and joined her in the song. I secretly liked singing it because it was a real challenge for me to hit the high notes, but when I did Ange would say, "Whoa - babe, good job! You have an awesome voice...." which would have been great if she stopped there, but she didn't "... and it's wrong that you don't sing in church. WE ARE SINGING A DUET IN CHURCH AND THAT'S FINAL." Plus, she went on a missions trip to the Philippines for a month when we were dating, and every time I heard that song it made me think of her. And I heard it EVERYWHERE - even once while humbly using the facilities at a dirty Burger King at the Jersey Shore.


David Crowder Band, O Praise Him (All this for a King)
- It is late spring 2003, and we have been meeting for several months in preparation for a grand endeavor, a group of 35 is travelling to London for a 2 week long missions trip. Money has been collected, tickets purchased, and vaccinations received - only one problem, we are leaving in three weeks and the entire purpose for the trip has fallen through! We have lost our lodging, our mission, our food, and my temper. It is a very good thing that I received the news in a public place - or else there could have been some real repurcussions for the messenger and the walls. I remember sitting down with Scotty, one of my go-to youth leaders, and dropping this bombshell on him. The look on his face was a weird mixture of anger and apathy. Not worry. Not fear. I was ready to weep and he seemed slightly peeved yet hopeful. At the next team meeting, I broke the news - but God had laid the story of Job on my heart that day, and so I challenged myself and the group to join Job in turning mourning into dancing. Weeping into worship. I put on a cd that I had just received, it was a raw, pre-release recording of the David Crowder Band song, O Praise Him. No one had ever heard it before, but it just felt like the right thing to do. I'll never ever forget what happened next - about halfway into the song, I looked back to see what the response was and my jaw dropped and my tears flowed. I saw this team of teens and adults worshipping God with all their hearts... Eyes were closed, many hands were raised in desperation and surrender, some were kneeling, others were laying on their faces. This was the moment that changed everything. God showed up - and gave us a life-changing trip and a team that was soldered together at the heart.

I could go on and on and on...

Green Bay 2005 with The Afters blaring, The Reason in the jungles of Roatan, Ironic with Tara and friends during college days, The Glory of Your Name sung at me constantly, My Glorious at the Good Friday Service with Cofield, Where It's At in the dorm with Varnish, Baby It's Cold Outside with Ange, We are the Champions at Yankee Stadium after the last out of the 1996 World Series, River of Tears (Clapton) with Woody(NY) as we chatted on rooftops, Great Lengths in the van to my dismay, Holy is the Lord with Jamie and Gretchen at One Day '03, Pray for Me as an anthem of separation and loss, Fix You as my heart beating declaration for the health of my wife...

What are your songs that conjure memories? I am a glutton for story and song - so please share them with us...

12 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Hey, did you read my blog a couple of entries ago? I wrote on practically the same topic!

The "Ironic" mention brought a big smile to my face because as I was reading down through your song stories, I was thinking to myself, hey, what about Alanis?! =) I just heard it in the store the other day and I immediately thought of those days riding around in that big green boat of a car with everyone.

I love hearing people's stories too.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger NY23CLIFF said...

Nice! I just checked it out... By the way, I will always think of you whenever the stalker song is played...

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Fred, i forgot all about our intimate moment until you mentioned that. Thanks for ruining my favorite song. I'll never be able to dance with Gretchen again while Clapton's words romance us.

Few songs for me:

Jump Around - House of Pain -- Dancing like a crazy man with my football pads on in the locker room following a big win in High school.

Macarena -- Letting go on a dinner cruise during my honeymoon with Gretchen reluctantly participating.

Make a Joyful Noise -- DCB -- At a Thirsty Conference during a late night, feeling as if I was truly alive for the first time.

With Arms Wide Open -- Creed -- Finding out I was going to be a Father for the first time.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Yeah, somehow I should have known you would bring up the stalker song--what can I say? I'm just goofy sometimes!

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay... so have you ever created a mix that is designed to tell the story of a certain chapter in your life? I have done this but once, to describe a period when I was completely messed-up in love, but was at first too scared to say anything about it. Then later, upon finally getting up some guts on a midnight driveway, I learned that best friends was going to have to be enough. Same old story right?

It's hard to say how long this lasted (a few years, anyway), but it peaked around three years ago. The mix (which appears in my Pod under the unobtrusive name "a mix", lest it attract unwanted curiosity), follows the progression from second look to head-over-heels to nervous hesitation to confrontation to misplaced anger to denial to moping relapse to final acceptance. Whew. I don't know how many of these songs will be familiar, but here they are:

01. For Nancy ('cos it already is) - Pete Yorn
02. The Same Boy You've Always Known - The White Stripes
03. Please Forgive Me - David Gray
04. Monkey - Counting Crows
05. How Good It Can Get - The Wallflowers
06. Black - Pete Yorn
07. Take It or Leave It - The Strokes
08. Love Can Destroy Everything - The Raveonettes
09. Here Is No Why - The Smashing Pumpkins
10. I Am Over It - The Dandy Warhols
11. Long Way Down - Pete Yorn
12. Angel On My Bike - The Wallflowers
13. Sabra Girl - Nickel Creek
14. Gypsy Death & You - The Kills
15. Shoot the Moon - Norah Jones
16. I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt
17. Crystal Village - Pete Yorn

There's a lot of Pete Yorn, 'cos he writes the songs I would write if I could write songs. So I guess he's my answer to the "soundtrack of your life" question.

I spent an embarrassing amount of time choosing these songs and putting them in JUST the right order, and I don't like to sound my own trumpet, but it is probably the best mix ever made. The transition from 10 to 11 is an earbud dream come true.

It doesn't get as much play as it used to, because I actually AM over the whole thing now, but I do put it on every once in a while when it's drizzling and grey and I'm in the mood for the best sort of melancholy. Even now I'm not sure if the addition of the Bonnie Raitt (the last song to make the list) was overkill. I mean, "I Can't Make You Love Me"? Talk about laying it on thick.

This concludes today's installment of "more than you ever wanted to know about me, but were to polite to tell me to shut up."

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey cliff! i love thinking about how songs and different parts of my life blend so well together. right now fix you by coldplay is defenitly the "song of my life" - the words are so encouraging but at the same time allow you to just let out a good cry if needed! its comforting to me that someday i will be fixed and healed!
-thanks for always making me go deeper, its really encouraging!!!

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger ThisBigEyedFish said...

Music.
It's kind of funny that I should find this, since i was just thinking man i need to find something to listen to so i turned on Radio Paradise and a little bit ago Grey Jule Mad World came on followed by Pink Floyd Mother. I started to think how much my music tastes have grown. It is definitely an eclectic mix. Right now I don't think I could pick a band to be my soundtrack.
Music definitely is the soundtrack of our lives. I can put song on and will instantly have a memory tied to them some good and some bad, but isn't that life.
Its nice to be home, too bad i have to go back for another 3 weeks.
I hope your mom is doing alright.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger BigWoodyRock said...

I could never remeber the name of that song but I must say that those conversations brought about great change in my life. Don Diego PB's and clear crisp Scranton nights.
A lifetime of memories would follow in the next two years. How different our lives could have been!
One song that will stick in my mind is One Head Light. Countless nights with it on repeat in Shaffer dorm. Thanks Umble.

Also, just for a good laugh, Biggy patting down Jerry when none other than Dan Anthony arrives. I still laugh out loud every time I envision it!!

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun to think about just how much music has really been a part of my life - from playing the alto saxophone during elementary, junior high, and high school, to the first stereo that my brother and I purchased (that actually had an 8-track player!), from making mixed tapes to listen to in my various Mustangs, to finding a favorite song on my new (used) ipod to listen to over and over again - "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap.

Music has always been a vital part of my existence. It has helped me to be brought closer to the throne of God, while it also speaks to the greatest heartache in my life. Certain songs can bring a smile to my face, while others can cause me to weep bitterly...isn't it funny that other people's words and tunes can have such a profound effect on my life, while also on the lives of many other people...

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Eric said...

sad betsy...even when you recognize the sale being pushed on you, you crumble and give in!

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cliff! Sorry it took me so long to comment....
The shout out to the afters made me so happy, they are so good it's insane. I dont have one specific song that I would describe as my life, but I love when your in your car, or around the house, or even just jammin' with the ipod and that ONE song comes on that you just have to pause at. It even happened to me today when I was taking a walk! The song "story of a girl" ((3 doors down)) came on and it used to be my favorite... I swear my whole like 4th-8th grade played in my head as I mouthed the whole thing word for word.

anyhoot... random I know! but I miss you bunches, let's talk/get together soon!

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger wilsonte said...

Wow, like tara, I have been thinking on this same topic as of late. Eerie coincidence. A quick list below - please see my explanations at my blog - thomasewilson.blogspot.com.

1. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles
2. "I'll Cry Instead" - The Beatles
3. "Hanky Panky" - Tommy James & the Shondells
4. "Angel of the Morning" - Merrilee Rush
5. "Red Rubber Ball" - The Cyrkle
6. "Sounds of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel
7. "Reflections of My Life" - The Marmalade, and "Pictures of Matchstick Men" - The Status Quo
8. "Day After Day" - Badfinger
9. "Seventh Sojourn" (album) - The Moody Blues
10. "Roundabout" - Yes
11. "Funeral for a Friend" - Elton John
12. "For Those Tears I Died" - various artists
13. "Longer" - Dan Fogelberg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home